My Blog List

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Marlette's Terry Reid to be honored...

This story is taken from The Marlette Leader, one of our sister newspapers...


MARLETTE — You might say that Terry Reid has dribbled and bounced his way into the hearts and admiration of his community and the surrounding Thumb area.
And so it is that the longtime Marlette basketball coach will be the guest of honor when the Marlette High School gymnasium is renamed in his honor during halftime ceremonies of the Marlette vs. Kingston varsity game this Wednesday night.
The evening also will be highlighted with the dedication of new scoreboards in Reid’s grandson’s name, Kyle Hall, a former standout Marlette student-athlete who was tragically killed earlier this year in an automobile accident. The scoreboard dedication ceremony will be observed earlier in the evening between the girls and boys varsity games.
Despite the over 400 career wins, the numerous league and district titles and the over 50 cumulative years of coaching seasons in Marlette, Reid is, perhaps, being honored for the impact he made on the lives of hundreds of young people. 
The coach is humbled by all the attention that the upcoming dedication has received.
“It is quite humbling. It’s something you don’t think about,” Reid observed.
Ironically, the soon-to-be former Raider Pavilion actually takes its roots from Terry and Jackie Reid’s son, T.R, who coined the phrase while announcing his dad’s girls basketball games as a high school student. Even the present scoreboards were TR’s idea which he pitched to the merchants, students and school district as a cooperative effort.
Now, after some 42 years as a head coach, nine years as a volunteer coach, and numerous other campaigns, the gymnasium will be known as the Terry Reid Gymnasium.
Reid still serves as the junior varsity boys basketball coach, a position he has led for four years, including the last three years, but he’s mentored young student-athletes in a variety of coaching and administrative positions. 
Reid served as Marlette athletic director for 18 years, was varsity girls basketball coach for 21 years, mentored the varsity boys basketball teams for 12 years, worked two years as the freshmen boys basketball coach,  was varsity baseball coach for two seasons, served as junior varsity football coach for a year, worked as a varsity girls basketball volunteer coach for four seasons, was varsity boys basketball volunteer coach for three years and worked as junior varsity boys basketball volunteer coach for two seasons.
Reid was also a volunteer in the fifth grade one day a week for five years and taught U.S. history, world history and physical education at the high school, and math, history and physical education at the middle school. 
That’s all after teaching for nine years for the Redford Union Schools.
The Reids actually first ventured to Marlette in 1972 for Terry to pursue a career as a basketball coach, but they also wanted to pursue life in a rural community.
“I spent six years growing up in Oscoda and really liked the small town atmosphere and wanted our kids to have all the opportunities they could have,” Reid said.
If one were to look back, they would find a 315-149 record as girls basketball mentor and a 100-98 record as varsity boys basketball coach. Reid led the girls to league titles in 1978, 1981, 1982, 1992 and 1993 and district titles in 1978, 1983 and 1989. He paced the boys teams to league titles in 1995 and 1996 and a district title in 1997. Also toss in a 1974 league title in baseball for good measure.
“The wins and losses are insignificant,” Reid said. “It’s gratifying to see what the kids become and those kids who come back to you after their playing careers. I have also had over 40 kids who have played for me who have gone on to coach basketball. Hopefully, I have had some small, positive influence on the kids because they have had a great positive influence on me. They keep you young.”
Just last December, the Reids had five former players come up to them and thank them for the impact they have had on their lives, recounted Terry’s wife Jackie, who labels herself as Terry’s “head cheerleader.”
By his own admission, Reid can be harsh on his players, demanding that they give the best that they have to offer.
“I always said that it is not you I dislike, it’s the fact that I am not pleased with what you are doing. When I quit correcting you, then you should worry,” Reid said. 
Much of the coaching position means making cuts, disciplining young athletes and dealing with criticism, but Reid has easily managed to raise above those factors.
“The program isn’t about me. I teach and they play. I want the kids to get the recognition,” Reid said.
During his career, the Michigan Basketball Coaches Association recognized him for his 400th victory. He was also recognized for No. 300 by the Marlette Sports Boosters, and Terry and Jackie were the Meet of Champs Friend of Youth.
“When I first moved to Marlette I was told by a member of the coaching field that I didn’t want to live in town and that I didn’t want the kids bothering me. That is what I am here for and the kids take me up on it,” Reid said. 
He couldn’t begin to count the number of times he has gone over to open up the gym, the countless hours spent in practice, and the various other items associated with basketball that have taken of his time.
“The recognition is nice, but it is still about the kids. I feel that I am receiving this honor because of the kids. They don’t realize the impact that they have had on our lives. Being 73 years old, I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t know the kids. My body is 73, but from the head up I still have the energy as the Lord blessed me with something that I could do,” Reid said.
Reid said that he is appreciative of his latest opportunity to coach given him by former player and current varsity basketball coach Chris Storm.
“I feel privileged that Chris has taken me on as an assistant as I coached both him and Cathy (Storm, Marlette varsity girls basketball coach),” he said.
As for Jackie Reid, she too feels honored as she has spent her 52-year marriage being by his side through thick and thin.
“I’m thrilled for him,” she said. “Coaching is such a big part of our lives. I refer to it as what we do. He is good at it. It is not about basketball, it is about helping young people and making them accountable. I can’t tell you how many former players have come to him later in life and said, ‘Coach, I finally got it.’”
Reid offered up a thank you to the kids, his family, the community, and especially his wife of 52 years for the support and encouragement he has received.
“I think I have had the ability to communicate with the kids, and yet I can joke with them,” he said. “The respect for the kids is there, but like life, it is a two-way street.
“It takes a special women to be a coach’s wife, especially at the varsity level. I don’t have to listen to the critics in the stands, but she does. She has washed uniforms and towels and even washed the baseball team’s uniforms when they had to be ready the next day.
“She has always been there. She has always encouraged and supported me and has been there when I needed to talk to someone. This was a partnership, the two of us with the coaching.
“This honor is very special from the standpoint that I’m alive. I’m very honored that the board and administration chose to do this. To be honored like this when you are living, I’m very humbled.”
The girls game Wednesday is slated for 6 p.m. while the boys game will follow at around 7:45 p.m.


BOGAN'S TAKE: There is nobody in the Thumb sports community who deserves this honor more than Terry Reid.
Though Marlette is technically out of the Tribune’s coverage area, I first got to know Reid when his school hosted the boys basketball districts way back in the 1990s. 
There were many great games back then between his Red Raiders, Cass City and Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port.
If you are a fan of Thumb basketball, you know — and admire — Terry Reid.
Congratulations, Terry. You deserve it.
Now, if only you could get your golf game straightened out!

Marlette’s Terry Reid has received many awards during his long coaching career, including this plaque from the Marlette Sports Boosters when he picked up career win No. 300.